New (french) title



When we read Recitatif I didn’t think too much of the title I figured it had something to do with the story but as the story went on we were never introduced to that word. I thought it was interesting to look into according to Wikipedia “"Recitatif" is the French form of recitative, a style of musical declamation that hovers between song and ordinary speech, particularly used for dialogic and narrative interludes during operas and oratorios”. This sort of makes sense because the structure of the story is somewhat random and sporadic. We get this sense that it's not quite a normal story. However, I don’t really see a strong connection to the music aspect of it and I am not sure if the french part plays into it so I would like to propose an alternate title. Les mystères des souvenirs (the mysteries of memories). Sorry if that’s not how you actually write in french I took Spanish so I just used google translate so I could keep the French theme.

For the first part of the story we just hear about the main characters' memories of the orphanage and this is what sets up the main things we know about each of the characters. In addition to this, the climax of sorts is this idea of what happened to the woman who they saw fall and get tormented by the other girls. We hear Roberta and Twyla's differing opinions on what happened and her race but we also see this confusion in both of them about what was real. The mystery of this memory clearly affects how the main character views herself and her time at the orphanage so it has many implications. Due to these reasons, I would make the new title “Les mystères des souvenirs”.

Comments

  1. I've also puzzled over the title "Recitatif" for many years and never been totally satisfied with my interpretation. And I've never read a statement from Toni Morrison explaining the choice. I agree with the connection you're drawing between the title and the story's structure--vignettes, which can be seen to function like "narrative interludes" in a larger story. I also like the way your suggested alternative title calls attention to the importance of memory for the story, as well as its evasive! Thanks for sharing! - Ms. O'Brien

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a really good new title! It also makes much more sense than "Recitatif", while keeping the slightly mysterious French theme. While "Recitatif" has meaning behind it, this meaning isn't immediately clear to the readers, and I like that your title (after using google translate) is more accessible in its meaning.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How do the stories balance real life and apocalypse?

The Englishmen in Guests of the Nation